Re: was Cyclamen / now Master Gardeners

In a message dated 11/09/2003 6:33:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Cersgarden@aol.com writes:

> Auralie, the members of our garden club that have completed the federated
> programs of landscape design and garden study are also the MGs.  I think
> federated programs are better than MGs. For the past few years Iowa MG
> course allows
> open book testing where federated does not which I favor.
>   Ceres

Thanks for the good words.  Federated programs are very rigidly structured -
so much so that I sometimes get very annoyed with them for their lack of
flexibility - but you have to acknowledge that they have good curriculums and high
standards.
In New York State we have a Horticulture School program that we feel is even
better.  Our standards are quite high but we use local experts as far as
possible. And the tests are absolutely not open-book, but are quite detailed and
considered difficult.
(I'm prejudiced, of course, since I have been State Chairman for 12 years.)
Auralie