From: "Libby Valentine" <L_Valentine@adelphia.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Glass Flowers
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:10:20 -0500

Yes, the models are to scale - truly as "life-like" as they could make them.
There's one - I think it was the lobelia, that models the whole clump:
roots, stems, leaves, flowers; and somehow it gave me the impression of
being just a bit wilted, like it had been pulled up and left in the sun for
an hour. I have no idea how they kept the samples from which they worked
(the location from which the samples came is also identified). Surprisingly
well-preserved, there is some occasional damage but not very much - I mean,
the stamens on a pussy willow are but hairs!

The professor wanted models to use instead of actual plant material, because
he could use them all year round, so no seasonal dependencies or waiting for
that bud to open! He commissioned glass because there were only rough paper
mache models available at the time and they didn't have the detail or
accuracy he wanted to teach. Each plant has a lifesize, lifelike model of
at least a portion of the plant including the flowers, and associated
enlarged study pieces, for example a portion of a stamen, or a seed pod, or
a cross-section of whatever part for a particular plant, all labeled with
the magnification. And all glass - its awesome! And yes, it's also the
life's work of 2 artisans.

I was lucky! I am surprised this collection is not better known - maybe the
new display room will help. I had never heard of it, yet it's the only
collection of its kind in the world, and it's right there in Cambridge. Of
course I also didn't know Harvard had a Museum of Natural History, let alone
a botanical museum of which this display is a permanent part...

MD zone 6