Re: throw away society

I was slow to move from LPs to tapes and fortunately never got caught up
in 8 tracks. I was also a little slow moving on to CDs, but I like them
much better than tapes, allowing for random playing among several discs
and easy to skip a song you don't like. My investment has been in
audiobooks which are still most often on tape. When I bought a car in
1996, I asked them to take the CD player out and put in a tape player.
But when I bought my suzuki 2yrs ago, they refused to remove the CD
player. I can copy anything I have on tape to CD if I want, but that's a
hassle. And in recent years I have downloaded most of my audiobooks to a
memory card on a player. I found a gadget at Best Buy that channels any
player (cd, tape, MP3) through your car radio on a station number not
being used.

I remember as a kid my dad had a machine on which you could cut your own
vinyl. We'd sing as the ribbon of vinyl spiraled off the needle. Then
he'd play our record for us.

I don't mind the changes so long as they are improvements and so long as
you don't lose the ability to use materials in earlier formats.