RE: Another OT-allergies

Thanks, Libby!

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Libby Valentine
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2003 10:16 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Another OT-allergies

There are also supplements (combination of brewers yeast, lecithin, bran,
and bone meal) that can be mixed in to the food and result in reduced dander
(and even lovelier coats than usual!) - whether it helps the allergic person
depends on what exactly is triggering the allergic reaction (dander is a
very common trigger but I understand some people are allergic to something
in the saliva).

When the dr. was trying to diagnose the cause of my asthma (another
allergy-induced asthma sufferer here) he wanted to know if I had animals,
and I told him I did and I would.  It's a good thing for me the test results
indicated no cat allergies.

Our Abyssinian had a rougher-textured, stiffer fur and had less of the fuzzy
undercoat.  She was a beautiful animal.  However, another characteristic of
the breed is they are social, people-oriented cats but not lap cats.  If
looking at purebreds, I would consider the breed characteristics/general
personality traits as well as fur - otherwise you could end up with an
allergy-acceptable animal that isn't your kind of pet.  Our rescues have
been wonderful companions, but you usually don't know what their physical
characteristics are until you've had them a while and they're really

I hope you find a suitable cat eventually, Bonnie, they are great