Re: White sapote

Taste is a funny thing, Marge. I get no hint of mint. More like a combination of banana and peach, with the sensation of "melting" in one's mouth.

On Tuesday, November 25, 2003, at 04:08 AM, Marge Talt wrote:

Interesting, Jim.  Never heard of it so did a Google image search.
Looks yummy, but the page with the image I found said it had a minty
flavor.  Does it?  If so, think I shall pass as mint makes me gag:-)
Nice tree, tho' - several images of that came up as well.  Site said
the seeds were toxic but were roasted for medicinal use.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :

From: james singer <jsinger@igc.org>
Just had my first taste of the white sapote [Casimiroa edulis].
yum. I want one of these trees, so I saved the seeds [two] from the

tasting and will plant them in pots this weekend. This is really a
wonderful Mexican fruit. If you want to try it, you may find it in
local bodega--tis the season!
Also, if you do find it, don't eat the skin or seeds--give you the
trots big time. But I guarantee you that the flesh of the fruit
replace apricots on the top ten list one of these days.