From: james singer [mailto: jsinger@igc.org]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:57:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Armitage CD and other electronic wonders

Guess I'm the only contrarian who thinks most gardening books are
something <br>to get into, find what you're looking for, and get out of
as quickly as <br>you can. A long time ago, I thought reading the
dictionary was fun but <br>I gave it up once someone invented the
are many, many books that I enjoy that will <br>likely never become
electronic--in spite of the herculean effort of the <br>Gutenburg
Project. But when I want to remember a passage from <br>Huckleberry
Finn, I go to Gutenburg and do a site search. I don't try <br>to thumb
through the yellowed pages of an old, inexpensive [probably <br>book
club issue], dog-eared copy.<br><br>And, yes, I wandered though the back
stacks, not only at university, <br>but also at the National
Agricultural Research Center, Beltsville, MD, <br>before the National
Agricultural Library was built. In those innocent <br>days, I could
check out 17th and 18th century books--even take them <br>home to share
with my children. That stuff [John Gerard's herbal and <br>Philip
Miller's Gardeners' Dictionary] will probably never make the
won't.<br><br>Qualifier--Gerard's herbal was reprinted in facsimile
several years ago <br>at something like $100 per copy; as far as I know,
Miller [the most <br>popular gardening book of its time, and perhaps for
a 100 years <br>thereafter] has never been re-printed on cheap or
expensive paper. My <br>first wife [divorce settlement story] has a
third edition. Seventeen <br>hundred something; bound in
leather.<br><br>I'd settle for it on a web
text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT<br><br>