Re: Canna tubers was: tolerance of lack of same/ alone

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT]Canna tubers was: tolerance of lack of same/ alone
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 03:18:17 -0500

Well, Cathy, that reminds me of the year I spent hours washing Canna
tubers in about that same temperature...I agree; NEVER again.  Now, I
just dig them and leave whatever soil I can't just shake off on
them...seem to have less loss of tuber over winter that way.  Just
heap them in something (currently in a huge old washtub) and shove
them in a corner of the garage.  Periodically over winter give them a
spritz of water so they don't totally dry out.  In spring, when they
show signs of growth, I sort them out and (if they are lucky) pot
them up.  If they are not lucky, they just sit there putting forth
pale growth until I can get them outside and in the ground.  Cannas
are pretty tough; only thing they really can't take is freezing

In the past, when I carefully washed and dried and stored them in
perlite or vermiculite, I had major loss from desiccation or assorted
dry rots.  I am NOT good at opening up boxes to check on stuff; if it
ain't under my nose, it does not exist:-)

So, next year, just haul out the baskets, haul them to the garage or
basement or wherever and let them dry a bit.  Then shake out the
plants or not as you choose.  I also winter over bunches of Canna
that I grow in pots by simply bringing in the pots.  Some of them
keep growing in the garage and some don't.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Current Article: Spring Peepers
All Suite101.com garden topics :