Re: Palm and cycad

For the palm, probably a couple of years. For the cycad, more like 10 or 12 years.

Palms seem to grow fairly fast once they develop a stem, and this one has a stem, albeit a very small stem. Two Bismarckia palms I planted as seed in January 2000, took 6 months to germinate and 2 years to develop a stem. They are now nearly as tall as I am, with stems that are probably 2 feet tall [wholesale value, $50 per foot].

Cycads are another thing altogether. Queen sagos grow fairly fast. King sagos grow moderately fast here, but very slowly in California [must be the humidity or warmer nights]. But the dioons and encephalartoses grow slower than slow. I have a dioon I bought as a liner about 5 years ago that has only doubled in size in all this time--and it is also a plant that grows to be 8 feet tall eventually.