To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - Wonderful web tribute to the Armed forces

Tricia - you've been busy! The Fringe tree sounds like something I tried
years ago but not hardy enough here. Our MGs would not be allowed to use
a city park as a project, at least not the labor involved. Time spent
instructing others on the project could qualify though.

It would be wonderful if they were just run over with so many cards with
holidays coming up.
Thanks for allowing me to share it on here.
I am working on a project for the city though Master Gardeners. We took
3 redbud trees (they had died to the ground one winter then came back as
sprouts but never as pretty), took out yellow barberry(they seem to die
or get diseased after several years) and just replacing some things that
look bad.
I put in 3 American smoke trees, 1 Chokeberry (that is so beautiful right
now loaded with red berries), 5 (1 gal) gold mound sprieas, dug and split
variegated lirope, did the same to some very crowed "Hamlin"variety
I am still trying to dig out an overgrown dwarf yaupon. The park was
planted 7 years ago and so overplanted that some things have died from
planted to close. There are 3 dwarf Alberta Spruces that are so crowded
that I am trying to move the dwarf yaupons from around them to give them
some room. I dug up a huge planting of rain lilies to spread around.
They had a very bare corner that is the most visible corner of the park
I am trying to put more color and things that don't have to be replanted
every year. For several years we have planted pansies or lantana
but they take lots of work and don't look good most of the year. My plan
to complete the landscape there with gold mound sprieas and the
I can't think of the complete name of the variety but it is the
When I went to pick up the smoke trees at the nursery I found the best
on trees and came home with 10 trees. I have planted the Chinese Fringe
Tree, 1 Korean Evodia Daniellii, and 3 of the Aronia chokeberries. I
need to find a place to put 3 Chinese Pistache, 1 Carolina Buckthorn, and
Chinquapin Oak. We have 2 acres here but this may be the end of my being
able to bring home new trees without taking out something. I am trying to
leave the 1 acre that we bought next to us where if someday someone else
wants to build a house there they wouldn't have to cut down a 40 year old
wonderful tree.
zone 6b
(where it is raining today and still waiting on our first killing freeze)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bonnie & Bill Morgan"
Sent: Monday, November 15, 2004 6:26 AM