Re: now Xmas

Thinking outside the pine box is always interesting, I think. We try to have a tree, but one that decorates itself. Kumquats are excellent because they are loaded with little orange fruit in winter. In fact. any citrus is probably self-decorated in December.

On Tuesday, November 16, 2004, at 08:19 PM, Theresa wrote:

Yep- I'll have a tree- but a little one this year. One year I put up the tree and added lights and then didn't put anything else on it. The day before Christmas I added red bows. That was all. I was so nice and easy to put away. I'm thinking about a little 3 ft tree- maybe I'll get a live one and then plant it... somewhere....Hmmm where though??? I told my husband that the armoire was my Christmas present, and I'm half done shopping for everyone else. The only thing I really want to do for Christmas is bake a bunch of cookies. I haven't had time to in years, and I love doing this and then giving them away.

Theresa

Kitty wrote:

I am going to simplify Christmas this year too.
Bare minimum.

Same here. No tree - gave it to my niece. No outside lights, trying to keep
the bill down. Presents will be inexpensive but thoughtful.
Kitty

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT - now tubers was-Wonderful web tribute to the Armed
forces

Man, oh man...I hear ya. Our farm is pretty big and of course I went
nuts with putting in new gardens (like a kid with a new box of crayons
and Big Chief Drawing pad). NOW...it more than I can keep up with. I am
scaling down. I love water ponds and all that...I just don't want the
maintenance of keeping them up. I'm 42 years old...and right now...my
soul feels about 80. I am going to simplify Christmas this year too.
Bare minimum.

Jesse

james singer <jsinger@igc.org> wrote:
Donna, I love water gardens and pond and fountains and streams--in
someone else's yard. We have a koi pond with fountains in the atrium of
our building, and it's great to watch the clients become mesmerized by
the bubblers, the fish, and the changing lights. [Other shoe] but I
don't want another labor intensive garden at the plantation.

The nearby branch library has a retention pond--maybe a quarter
acre--with a fountain in the center. It's planted with mostly
natives--canna, water lily, arrowroot--and lotus. It's really fantastic
when all are in bloom. [Asidum: Heard one of the local news readers
call the library a lie-bury this morning. Obviously, she wasn't hired
for her intellect.]

Incidentally, just picked my first tangello of the season.