RE: Armadillos

Thanks, Cathy.  It is always good to work with facts.

Bonnie (SW OH - zone 5)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Cathy Carpenter
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 6:13 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Armadillos

Just had to set the record straight on armadillos and leprosy. Yes,
armadillos, because of their low body temperature, have been used to
culture Mycobacterium leprae (Leprosy is caused by a bacterium, related
to the bacteria that causes tuberculosis, not a virus). Because the
bacterium has not been able to be grown in artificial culture, the sole
source of the germ for study has been the nine banded armadillo (and
mice).  Yes there has been a lot of "buzz" on the possible transmission
of the bacterium from the armadillo to humans, but to my knowledge, the
only documented transmission has been related to oral consumption of
undercooked armadillo meat. Leprosy, despite its horrendous biblical
reputation (most of which was not related to the disease), is very
difficult to contract. There is documented evidence that people have
lived for years in close proximity (ie. marriage) to people with the
disease and have never "caught" it. The lowly nine banded armadillo
should be recipient of our gratitude rather than our prejudice...at
least as far as health research is concerned.