From: Zemuly@aol.com
Sent: 11/20/2004 3:19:22 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] catnip

Auralie,  I garden exactly the way you do -- whatever grows goes to  seed.  I
also have a lot of catnip.  The outdoor cats rub in the nubs  all winter
long.  I have brought it in for the indoor cats, but they do  make a huge mess out
of the fresh stalks.  How long to you "cook" it in the  microwave.  I'm sure
mine would love some.  I buy baby socks for  stuffing with dried catnip, and
they work great.  I just throw them away  (or wash them in the washing machine)
when they get dirty.  I found a small  juice glass is just the right size for
filling the socks.  I put one of the  socks inside the glass then fold the
top back over the outside of the glass and  pour in some catnip.  I leave enough
sock to tie a knot in the top.   One night I heard a commotion in the kitchen
and went to investigate.   Seems I had left a very large bag of dried catnip
in the drawer of my work  table.  The "children" had opened the drawer and
gotten the bag out.   There was catnip literally everywhere and some very happy
cats.

zem
zone 7
West TN