Re: Marge's Suite101 topic was: Early germination, what to do?

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Marge's Suite101 topic was: Early germination, what to do?
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:28:08 -0500

Well, sort of a bummer, Jim;-)

Yup, Jim and Daryl, I do retain copyright.  The Suite has the right
to publish them online, but  I can have them republished anywhere;
the Suite always requested a tag on a repub.  I have always honored
this; not sure I will do in future.

If I ever get time to put them in to real HTML, Chris has offered to
host them on hort.net...time's the bugaboo here:-)  Couple of years
or so ago, I started putting together a Gardening in Shade website;
never got it done, of course...but one of these years I hope to and
have them all up there and a place to add more when I get time and
the urge.

Actually, it looks like they're still up on the Suite under 'retired
topics', which is all topics at this point....but they still live:)
We have lost our access to our editing functions now, so guess
they're busy doin' whatever it is they're gonna do.

Seems like the big deal these days with web sites is to see how many
ads they can load up the pages with.  I know that can provide a
steady income stream and I don't object to them when they don't get
in the way of the content, which IMO, they were doing at the Suite.
they had hideous bouncing ads and pop-unders - all stuff I abhor.
Took the tone of the site to the cellar IMO.

Yes, Donna - have accepted it and am a bit relieved to be rid of that
responsibility.  Hate not being able to do what I have said I will
when I said I would, but sometimes life just don't let ya' get
there:-)  So not having to anymore is a load off my mind.

Well, bless your kind heart, Kitty.    You are right about needing to
get paid for what you do.  It's amazing how that pittance they
originally offered spurred one on to meet deadlines:-)  When that
ended, I must say I became less worried about hitting a specific
date:-)

I truly enjoyed the writing - and as I said, learned a whale of a lot
doing it.  Hope to be able to get back to it one day in the not too
distant, as, like you, I think, I really love doing the research when
it's a topic I'm interested in.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs
----------
> From: james singer <islandjim1@verizon.net>
> Bummer, Marge. But... do you own the property--articles, site
title,
> etc--so you can move them to another site? Maybe start a shady
garden
> blog and collect your own ad revenue? Seems to me that e-publishing
is
> such a free-for-all that it's a bit premature for site managers to
> assume they can get rich by focusing their appeal in any
formalistic