Re: Old southern sayings

It has always meant "I swear" in my family, except.they all said, "I swanee."
zem

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:28 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Old southern sayings

In a message dated 11/12/2005 12:27:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
robbinsbaugh@earthlink.net writes:
"I'll swan" (never could figure this one)

I think that was an euphamism for "I'll swear" which by some fundamentalists
was like taking the Lord's name in vain.

My grandfather used to refer to women of questionable virtue as "swift"
and as "cutters" ( as in a Coast Guard cutter).

Auralie