From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 3:10 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] OT: Not exactly good news...need advice

Cyndi, not to worry. I had a large one [maybe 3/8-inch diameter] on my
nose removed about a dozen years ago. I had it removed by Moh
surgery--I was awake the whole time--and then taxied across town to
Georgetown University hospital where the cosmetic surgeon built a new
nostril from my cheek. For that part, I was under a general anesthetic.
I felt great the next day, got rid of the bandage within 24 hours and
was back at work in 2 days. I'm sure your experience will be as
painless and effortless as mine--it's just worrisome before it happens.

On Nov 9, 2005, at 7:14 PM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSR wrote:

> This is off-topic, sorry, but no one I work with can be helpful so I'm
> going
> farther afield.
> I got a piece of news that wasn't so great. Apparently I have a basal
> cell
> carcinoma on my nose and I have to have plastic surgery to get it
> removed.
> The good news of course is that once it's gone, it's gone; they are
> very
> common and people get this done all the time. The bad news is that due
> its size and position they are going to have to move a lot of skin
> around on
> my face to patch the hole. (I swear this thing is not really that big.
> I can
> barely see it. But he's the doctor). Two weeks, he says, before I
> ought to
> appear in public, although I gather actual feeling-bad time is only a
> couple
> days, and probably a year before the scars are not noticeable.
> I'm such a wimp I don't even like getting my blood pressure taken, let
> alone
> general anesthesia and surgery! I haven't had anything like this
> before. I
> was rattled and I couldn't really think of what questions I should be
> asking. I know it's a common operation and they're real blasi about
> it, but
> you know, I'm nervous. What would you want to know if it were you?
> Cyndi
Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W