From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of TeichFlora@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 5:45 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pam drought......Cenizo

Pam, you'll love the Cenizo, Leucophyllum frutescens, it is not  only
tolerant, but it requires drought.  This is probably the best  plant for dry

areas.  I have had one for years, but it's barely hanging in  there.  It r
eally requires dry conditions and EXCELLENT  drainage.   So you might want
plant it a bit raised...not  necessarily raised bed, but just raised up
some, so
in case it does rain, it  doesn't get too wet.  I've lost major sections of
mine after rainy  seasons.......and it's in a raised area with other west
plants that I  never give supplimental water too, other than the rains.  The

green  foliage variety seems to be a bit more water tolerant than the silver

leafed  one....although I seriously prefer the silver foliage.  It blooms
often, and is beautiful with the purplish blooms next to that wonderful
 foliage.   Great plant Pam.  There are so many wonderful  drought tolerant,

or even dry requiring plants out there.  My entire front  is done in those,
that I never give any supplimental water to.  Mom got  tired of all the
and water restrictions imposed by the city of San  Antonio, so she planted
all Tx. native dry plants in the full sun areas.   Beautiful.  She never has
supplimental water either....other than her  deck with many potted Hibiscus,

Plumerias and Bougainvillas...which definitely  keep her on her toes.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 11/10/2005 11:02:41 AM Central Standard Time,