Re: Guesswork - Chris?

I would guess because  (hmmm... I think you asked this before)  it protects
their material from easy copy/paste theft. I can still get some things out
of them, but not easily.    Also, I've seen some companies who use it as a
lazy way of providing literature they already have, but most likely don't
have the files for.  They just scan the brochure in as a graphic rather than
as text for WR and then insert it as a page in a .pdf.  It's a pain, but at
least they do provide the reader free.

I've noticed recently that a Powerpoint viewer is often provided free on
some cds in case you don't have it.  That's handy.  I have MS products on my
home computer but don't have the software and would like to put them on my
dad's computer.  I don't care a whit about Word - hate it - but I like and
use Publisher and need Powerpoint.  Excel I can take or leave because
QuatroPro does the trick.  I'd use Corel's Presentations in place of
Powerpoint but can't be sure any presentation would then play on a borrowed
laptop when I give the presentation.  So, because MS did a better job of
cornering the market, I need Powerpoint.

I've been trying to get the software on eBay, but finding both Powerpoint
and Publisher on a set is not common enough to bring the price down.  I can
wait though, I'm not in a hurry and i do already have them at home.  It
would just be nice to have them at work, too.

Kitty