From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Bonnie Holmes
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:23 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Well...it's cold!!! What is the best time to prune?

Best time to prune depends on the flowering of the plant.  It is always good
to prune out damaged, diseased, and crossing limbs (so they won't rub).
Then, best to wait until the plant is dormant so the pruning won't stimulate
new growth that will be killed with the cold.  Spring blooming plants should
be pruned after spring blooming.  Summer and fall blooming plants can be
pruned in the fall/winter once they are dormant.

To thin/reduce a shrub:  remove deadwood; remove older, thicker branches of
red-twig dogwood, azaleas and other shrubs that spread by runners; remove
branches that touch the ground (unless you plan to propagate) or a wall;
remove overlapping branches and those that are taking the same space to
allow air and sun in; remove any unattractive or wrong-headed branches.
Prune from bottom to top and inside out.   Check on the pruning level of
your species.  For example, prune only 1/4 of rhododendrons, laurels, and
camellias.  Deciduous azaleas, firethorns, lilacs, yews and wax myrtles can
stand 1/8th.  Some plants stand only a little punning, such as
beautyberries, cotoneasters, magnolias, witch hazels, and doublefile
viburnums.  (From Fine Gardening Feb. 2006)

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN

of
> > Sharon and a number of walnuts that need a bit of pruning.  What do
> > all
of