RE: Re:Well, it's wet.....beautyberry.....plant sale

I agree and have had that problem and frustration, too.  But, I have also
discovered that the little micro climates that you have on your property
really make a difference.  There are a number of things that grow well in
north Knoxville...just 45 minutes away...that don't do as well here.  They
get more rain, snow and ice than we do.  We are just 1 hour from the
Smokies and can't grow many of the plants that thrive on the lower levels
and should be ok here.  The soil, temperatures, and wind are different.  I
am also right on the TN River but the touching property is dry soil because
of the prevailing winds.

My beauty berry is on the north side of the house, on a slope (I think this
adds the moisture), nestled in among other natives (I think this and the
house protects it more from the wind).  I don't think I could grow it along
the lake.  (I have found the same thing with my rosemary...had several
failures until I found a place it liked.)

I am wondering if you create a rain garden to keep moisture more constant
and plant there, if it would survive?

Bonnie Zone 7/7 ETN