Recent events, and a little gardening

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: [CHAT] Recent events, and a little gardening
  • From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT" cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:52:06 -0800

I've been busy, but not with much gardening. The horse stuff is taking
most of our free time. I still think that in six months or so we won't
be so frantic but right now we're learning so much, and not being very
efficient with chores and such.
My sister and I have done some travelling during the search for a horse
for me, we even went to Las Vegas to look at a few. Actually she found
one there that she thought might be good for my great-niece, but then
she said she didn't need another horse so why didn't I go and take a
look. Well my husband is not one to pass up a trip to Vegas so we all
went, looked at about 4 of them out there, and my sister ended up buying
the one she found after all. It was a fun trip even if I did pick up a
seriously nasty cold; kept me out of work for two days and I'm still
coughing and sneezing.
I did find a nice 13 year old gelding closer to home, made an offer, and
we brought him home a couple days ago. His name is Rio. Haven't done
much with him because of my cold but we've got his tack all adjusted and
have ridden around the back yard a bit, and practiced getting him in and
out of the horse trailer. Our other horse is happy to have company.  My
sister says now that we all have horses we should trailer up to her
place on Thanksgiving and we'll all go riding before the big dinner.
I managed to plant the rest of the bulbs I ordered, probably not in the
spots I intended when I bought them, but they're planted. As I was
pulling back the mulch to dig holes I noticed the bulbs already in the
ground have started to sprout, very handy since I didn't chop through
any of them like I usually do. I'm getting kind of discouraged at the
amount of work that needs to be done, I've really overcommitted my time
and the front garden shows it. I'm trying to come up with a plan; I
think if I were able to dig out the worst of the grass, I could dump a
lot of spoiled hay on the rest of it, mulch and keep weeds down at the
same time, it would be easier than buying bark mulch which we never seem
to remember to do (and cheaper). I've resisted using the hay because it
isn't incredibly attractive. But it's REALLY ugly covered in weeds so
what the heck. Although at the moment quite a lot of it is covered in
dead sycamore leaves so that has to be done first.  Hmmm...maybe I
should just take the time to shred them, as annoying as it is to do
that, and use them as mulch instead. Of course I did just say I'm short
on time.
I lost a few plants in the dry garden during the last couple months, no
doubt I should have watered a couple more times after the heat of the
summer. Two of the spanish lavenders are gone, and two penstemons. One
of the penstemons (p.strictus) was just huge, I will try to replace it
in spring. And the gophers have eaten the roots off all my agaves now,
dagnabit, and they even ate one of the russian sage plants. The
zauschneria (the one I thought wasn't coming back last spring) is still
blooming as is all the salvia greggii and germander sage (salvia
something, but I can't spell it).
Hope no one is getting flooded, blizzarded, or burnt - weather here has
been almost perfect but of course that increases fire danger in many
areas too. We haven't even had very cold weather yet, I don't think
there's been a real no-kidding frost, it's just been flirting around the
mid-thirties.

Cyndi