Re: Composting

<cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
> So how many of you have real compost piles? Are you diligent about
> turning them or is it just a place to dump organic matter?
----------
I've been making compost for something like 36 years or so.  Have a
main compost area that is 2 piles...one old I use and the other being
added to plus several smaller piles around behind things to save
hauling it back to the main one and a couple major mounds in the
woods - gotta go mine those soon as I'm using my 'good' pile up fast
with potting soil and will soon run out.  Everything gets either
composted or eaten by the critters who also go through the kitchen
waste just to make sure I haven't put anything really tasty on the
heap.

I used to turn it but have not for many years.  Find it decomposes
fine in a year so the old pile works for putting on beds or making
potting soil.  Weeds sprout from it but mostly in the potting soil
mix and they're easy to pull out of the pots - my beds are so full
they don't get much chance to grow and I mulch as well.

Also have a couple three leaf piles - the resulting leaf mold is
black gold.

O'course, I also have regular rain.  You're right, Cyndi - water is
the key to compost rotting.  I've had dry years and no time to water
leaf piles and dug into them a year or so later to find wads of dry
leaves same as went into them.  Think you might give that black
plastic idea a try...good thought.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
who is waaaaay behind with email yet again....

mtalt@hort.net
Shadyside Garden Designs