From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On
Behalf Of Jesse Bell
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 2:21 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: RE: [CHAT] chickens (was baking)

Does that get transferred to people via the eggs?  I think I would be
afraid of that.  Our chicken house is on skids so we can hook it up to
the tractor and move it around so we don't have stuff like that happen.
They get fresh grass and free range.  They put themselves up at night so
I don't worry too much about them.  But - I don't have a dog that chases
or kills them (and I hope the new adopted dog doesn't chase them because
she IS part lab and they are bird dogs).  I'll have to watch her.

Johnson Cyndi D Civ 95 CG/SCSRT <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
  Yep it's sad. We tend not to get attached to the "livestock" because,
well, we eat them occasionally but of course I don't want them to
suffer. At least we had already given away 15 or so of the others so it
wasn't worse. Our fault for leaving the gate open.
Have fun watching your chicks, they are so cute following mama chicken
around. We can't let our hens go broody, we have Marek's disease in the
yard and any chicks hatched will die of it. I think if we got rid of the
chickens entirely for about a year the virus would die too, but we've
never tried it.

Cyndi