Re: pet rescue

Thanks for the information, Kitty. I'll pass that info along to people around here.
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, November 23, 2007 9:31 AM
Subject: [CHAT] pet rescue

There was an article in our paper not long ago about choosing a dog. The author cautioned against using breed-specific rescuers because they might be profiting from their mission. This prompted a letter to the editor from a rescuer that detailing the huge amounts they spend on each rescue and that they make absolutely no profit. Today's letter was from the local animal control facility which had given the original information to the author of the article. Their PR person wanted to clarify what she'd said. She praised genuine rescue groups wholeheartedly, but explained, "What I conveyed to [the author] is that there are now some groups posing as rescues. In actuality, they make a profit on the sale of the dogs and they take advantage of unsuspecting consuers, donors, and businesses. Our director recently contacted the AG's office to discuss concerns that reputable rescues were potentially being hurt by buy-sell operations posing as rescue groups. The AG confirmed not only that trend in IN but an even larger movement for dealers and puppy mills to register as non-profit organizations."
She then went on to suggest reading "When is a Rescue not a Rescue?" at

Thought some of you might be interested.

neIN, Zone 5