Re: pet rescue

This goes right back to your feelings about stupid people -- they should not breed!
zem
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] pet rescue

Hello, thank you. You don't buy a dog that grows to be 140 pounds and huge, and then just decide you don't want it anymore. Do your research before you buy the dog. Don't commit to an animal unless you make it part of your family. AND FOR PETE'S SAKE - control your children and don't let them abuse your animals. This dog has a scar on her back where it looks like somebody took a screwdriver and poked a hole in her and it healed wrong. They didn't take her in for stitches. Our other dog that was abused has a rip in her ear about 2 inches long that was never stitched up - so her ear looks split. What is wrong with people?

Kitty <kmrsy@comcast.net> wrote:
 Amazing! Bless you for taking on this big baby. A lot of people don't
understand dogs, and worse yet, won't make the effort to even find out.
But, I have to wonder - they were going to put the dog down? Geez, it's
not a sweater that you snagged. Animals are a commitment.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jesse Bell"
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:04 AM

That is a really great article Kitty!! We just rescued a Newfoundland/Lab
mix dog that an owner took into the vet to have it put down because it was
"vicious" and it grabbed her son's arm. This dog is 3 years old and still
considered a puppy for such a large breed. After questioning this woman,
another lady overheard her tell the vet that she has three "rowdy" boys
that play to rough with the dog and she was worried that the dog would end
up hurting them. The lady that overhead the conversation pulled the vet
aside and said she would pay to have the dog kenneled until she could find
a good home for it because she didn't have room at her house for another
dog. When my husband and I went to see her, you could tell by her
behavior that she had been abused and treated poorly. We picked her up on
Saturday morning and this dog doesn't have a mean bone in her body. Her
"bite" on the boy's arm was a gentle warning to leave her alone. She is
now attached to my husband like
glue and whines if he goes out of her sight. She is good with all the
other animals and is such a gentle giant. We love her. She looks like a
small HORSE and takes up half the floor when she lays down, but she is
just so SWEET. I figured with 25 acres and access to two ponds, we had
enough room for this dog. Newfoundlands and labs both like water and
being able to run. We have that. I hate it when people are cruel to
animals. Makes me fighting mad.

Kitty wrote:
There was an article in our paper not long ago about choosing a dog. The
author cautioned against using breed-specific rescuers because they might
be
profiting from their mission. This prompted a letter to the editor from a
rescuer that detailing the huge amounts they spend on each rescue and that
they make absolutely no profit. Today's letter was from the local animal
control facility which had given the original information to the author of
the article. Their PR person wanted to clarify what she'd said. She
praised
genuine rescue groups wholeheartedly, but explained, "What I conveyed to
[the author] is that there are now some groups posing as rescues. In
actuality, they make a profit on the sale of the dogs and they take
advantage of unsuspecting consuers, donors, and businesses. Our director
recently contacted the AG's office to discuss concerns that reputable
rescues were potentially being hurt by buy-sell operations posing as
rescue
groups. The AG confirmed not only that trend in IN but an even larger
movement for dealers and puppy mills to register as non-profit
organizations."
She then went on to suggest reading "When is a Rescue not a Rescue?" at
http://tinyurl.com/ywdnhf

Thought some of you might be interested.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5

Jesse R. Bell

I GoodSearch for Heifer International.