Pepper

A week or so ago, I noticed that the poblano pepper I have growing in a 30-gallon pot was beginning to look a bit peaked, a victim of our lack of rain and general low humidity. So I watered it and fertilized it. I thought about pruning it--it's a large plant; the pot is 18-inches tall and the pepper ranges 5 feet above that--but I didn't. Should have, I think now. Anyway, now it's covered with blooms and baby peppers. I've grown other peppers--jalapenos, Thai devils, Turkish red hots, cayennes--through the winter, but never one that produced a pepper as large as a poblano. T'will be interesting to see how it copes with the cool and otherwise performs.

We're headed to the farmers' market tomorrow AM in hope of finding the Herb Guy. He shows up once season starts, so he's usually there by this time of year. He has very nice 1-gallon plants at reasonable prices. We'll be looking for arugula [we try to keep four large pots going until it gets hot] and, perhaps, an exotic basil, such as Thai or African. The Corno di Toro pepper we got from him last year is still Gangbusters--four peppers in various stages of ripeness.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.1 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10