Re: Greenhouse problems

Not sure how much help this will be....
A lot of the folks in the various plant societies that grow show  plants have
various types to house their most precious plants from the elements  of
nature (squirrels, hail, temp fluctuations, etc.) , some purchased  a DIY kit for a
Car port/garage type structure from the box stores, and covered  it with the
plastic.  It seems to work fine, sturdy, and they are able to  hang pots as
well.   Apparently they come in various sizes and  can easily be modified.  I've
seen them, they look suitable  enough.
I have never had or needed a greenhouse, I'm not much of a fan of
greenhouses, and thankfully our deed restrictions don't allow one either,  so we use
that excuse often when pressured by soc. members. Taking the MG  course, we had a
greenhouse class, and then had to put in hours in the  greenhouse as well.  I
appreciated the learning experience, but could not  understand the appeal in
a climate that didn't really warrant the  need.  Trying to keep everything
regulated during the "winter" months  when it was actually used was a real
chore.....and basically took the  fun out of horticulture.   I totally understand
the necessity in  cooler areas, and it would probably be a bit easier too, not
having to worry  about cooling and heating all at the same time....or year
round bug  problems.
 If we lived where we needed a permanent one, we'd definitely  love to get
the sunroom type that are added to a house, so the plants  can be seen from the
rooms in the house, and one can use it as an additional  room, so to speak.
Plus, I figure these types seem to be easier to  heat since they utilize the
heat from the house as well.  I guess I've just  always enjoyed most plants more
in a natural setting rather than all sitting on  shelves or tables.  Even in
botanical gardens....the natural settings  always appealed to me more.
With all that said, I'm still in awe of anyone that has watergardens or
grows tropicals in cold climates!!!!
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
5 Travel Deals!