Re: {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

I no longer bother to rake leaves. If we think of it, or we need to mow anyway, we run the lawn mower over them to break them down some. Otherwise, my chickens do a great job of scratching them into smaller pieces.

We feed some corn, and lots of vegetable scraps and windfall apples or whatever in season, but I also get feed from the local mill. It's made from "real" grains, not wheat gluten or animal by-products. There's one brand available that always smells like dead animals. Yuck! I don't go there.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] {Disarmed} Our Home-Grown Melamine Problem

My chickens get scratch and some cracked corn and seeds, and they free
range. They have the BEST eggs...and I have no compost pile anymore because
they FOUND it and have scratched it all out looking for bugs.  I rake it
back up, they scratch it back out.  It's a game we have going on.  It's
really funny to watch them.  I raked up a bunch of fall leaves...they ran
over there making all kinds of noise and scratching them out in a big
pile...then, they turn around and go "HEY...LEAVES! and scratch them right
back where I had them, then turn around and go "HEY...LEAVES!!"  It's the
funniest thing I've ever seen.