sweet william

  • Subject: sweet william
  • From: "Kitty" <kmrsy@comcast.net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 11:57:18 -0500

I've been shredding leaves all week. I pile them in a temp bed out front , then shred. Every 4 bagsful I load up and take to the backyard pile. Each trip takes me past a clump of Sweet Williams, Dianthus barbatus. I've purchased them for our MG cottage garden over the years, but had never grown them until this past spring I picked up some seed. They grew easily from seed but I got a bit anxious waiting for the flowers so I bought a quart already in bloom. I planted them just across from my backdoor and they have bloomed all season long. They are still blooming - not just the last few flowers of the season, but vibrant, full, and a multitude of magenta blooms.

I've always thought they were biennials, generously self-sowing biennials, but have also read of them being perennial. Does anyone esle grow these handsome little plants? (can't call a William, "beautiful", can I?) What's your experience?

I sold off several pots of my seed grown plants, but did keep one pot. They are pink. Much smaller leaves and flowers. Will they be bigger next year?

neIN, Zone 5