October in review
  • Subject: October in review
  • From: "Johnson, Cyndi D Civ USAF AFMC 95 CS/SCOSI" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 08:35:36 -0700

Our October weather was interesting, we had two storms that dropped a
lot of rain (a lot for us, anyway, over an inch). Usually October is dry
and warm, it's when the worst wildfires start, but not this time.
All that water and warm weather means grass is sprouting like crazy. I
decided just to hoe up the grass in my dry garden instead of trying to
hand weed it as I usually do, this early in the year I don't think that
will remove any wildflower seedlings. We can let the sheep out to graze
next weekend too.
No frost as yet. I still have peppers and tomatoes, mostly green
tomatoes, but so far no time to pick much; been spending too much time
on horseback and other stuff. I spent almost 3 days painting a bathroom
- the first color I chose didn't look like I thought it would, so I had
to repaint, very boring.
I got rid of my pond, a big galvanized stock tank that had developed a
couple of pinhole leaks. When we started pulling up the cattails and
underwater pots, the whole edge just crumbled, it was almost completely
rusted through! It was so rusty and nasty husband just cut it up with
the torch and put it in our dumpster, the next day we came out and
someone had taken it. We didn't think the recyclers would take it but I
guess someone figured it was worth the effort.
My gardeners are doing a good job, I'm glad we hired them and my "it
should be me" guilt is almost gone. I have had a couple casualties - a
big clump of allium bulbs got scattered when they weeded and my (very
small) viburnum lentago just vanished, but I figured there would be a
few instances like that. Every time I go hiking now I pick up a 4 or 5
pound chunk of quartz and bring it back, anything small that I treasure
is getting a ring of quartz to mark it. Not exactly subtle, but it
should work.
Got the greenhouse cleaned out Sunday. I put a bug bomb in there the
week before but there were still some black widow spiders, so I'll do
that again before moving plants in.  I have to say I don't much like
winter but while getting the place all nice I started anticipating this
winter, reading in the greenhouse amongst the plants.