Re: Time change

Auralie - I can relate completely.  Was just out back saying my evening
prayers, and it's bloody dark at 5:30 here.  I'm just SO hating that.  At
least it's still fairly mild here.  Wish I could send you a few pleasant
days to get all your chores done!   The upside is the sunset was utterly
breathtaking tonight.  Gorgeous in fact....

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 5:39 PM, <Aplfgcnys@aol.com> wrote:

> Winter is really setting in here.  The time change seems symbolic.
> It's cold and dark.  We have had fierce winds for several days -
> temps are only in the 40s, but the wind chill is like the 20s.
> I still have a lot to do outdoors -had such a rush of work in the
> last six weeks that I just haven't been able to get out - but my
> old bones just don't appreciate the chilling winds.  Maybe I can
> get something done tomorrow.
> Leaves are pretty much down now, but the Kousa dogwood is
> still brilliant, and hasn't shed much.  Interestingly, the Bradford
> pear is still green and in full leaf.  It usually turns pretty bright.
> I don't remember it's not turning on schedule before.
> I'm pleased to see that the regular dogwoods - Cornus florida -
> are full of buds for next spring.  They bloomed very poorly last
> spring - almost no bloom.  Not just mine but all over the woods.
> I've heard that the extra-heavy bloom set is a response to stress
> conditions this year - the drought has been serious.  We have
> had a couple of heavy rains in the past two weeks, but it is
> still dry and the strong winds don't help a bit.
> I'm told that one sign of a hard winter coming is that the deer
> have dark coats - well, the ones in my back yard this week
> are looking quite dark.
> Anyway, I hate, hate, hate the early dark.  It's so depressing
> to me to have it dark before 5:00 PM. I have no desire to live in
> Florida - been there, done that - but I would like the days to be
> a bit longer in winter.
> Auralie

Pam Evans
Kemp TX