hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: storm....at last
  • Subject: Re: storm....at last
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 10:40:06 -0500 (EST)

Finally, after eight days without power and nearly three weeks without 
cable connection
we seem to be back to running properly.  What a nightmare it has been.  We 
did not
suffer nearly as much as some people, because we had a small generator that 
gave us
water (we're on a well), heat and refrigeration, but no lights.  The 
problem there was the
shortage of gas.  First of all, we were trapped on our private road for 
four days by a 
downed power pole.  ConEdison told us that if we cut their pole we would 
have to pay
for it, about $850.00.  After we could get off the hill, kind neighbors 
brought us gas.
They had gone to Connecticut to see about a daughter in school there, so 
us enough to get through if I rationed it very carefully - keeping the 
generator running
just long enough to cool the refrigerator enough to keep food from 
spoiling.  That meant
turning it on and off every few hours.  But when power came back it was 
such a 
disappointment to not have access to email, television, or my telephone.  
We could
use Chet's land line, and people could call us, but the upstairs phone was 
not in a
convenient place.  After many hours of telephoning we finally got a 
technician who
came and saw the cable still lying on the ground and said he could do 
nothing until
the "crew" could get there.  Then more days of waiting and telephoning, and 
we saw
Optonline trucks putting the cable back up.  Still nothing.  Then a 
neighbot said that
they had cable access - why didn't we?  Still more frustrating telephoning 
until last
evening after dark someone came and got us back working again.  Whew!  We 
already arranged to change our supplier to Verizon, but they can't do it 
until next
month some time.
In the meantime, Sunday night Chet fell and hit his head on the wall.  He 
didn't tell
me he had fallen, but when he tried to get up the next morning, he could 
barely stand,
and was very nauseated.  It took some talking to get him to agree to see a 
doctor- he's
a very stubborn old man.  Finally we got an appointment for that afternoon, 
and a very
kind friend offered to help me get him into the car and to drive us.  Thank 
goodness for
that, because I just don't drive after dark, and we didn't get back until 
nearly  10:00 PM.
the cardiologist who we first saw took tests and found that Chet was in 
Atrial Fibrilation,
which isn't serious, and he has had for a long time.  But since he had hit 
his head, and
is on coumadin, they insisted that he must have a CTscan at the emergency 
This of course took hours.  Every other test there was normal, including 
the fact that
he was no longer in A-Fib.  The final diagnosis was mild concussion.  He 
has been
weak and wobbly all this week, but seems a bit stronger each day.  He is 
around without his walker this morning, so things seem to be getting better 
- especailly
since I now have email.
I am reading all the Garden Chat posts with pleasure.  I have missed the 
activity on
this list.  I do have a Facebook account, but don't use it.  Somehow it 
just annoys me.
I have always felt very close to this group.  Not ony do we share major 
interests, we
seem to share the same values.  I hope one outcome of this storm is that we 
will keep
closer touch.

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement