Re: How's everybody doing?
gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: How's everybody doing?
  • From: Aplfgcnys@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:31:55 -0500 (EST)

This is just amazing!  I woke up this morning thinking about this  group,
and
decided that I would post some thoughts just to see if anybody was still
out
there - and VOILA! here you are.  I have missed this group.  It's  so good
hear from you.  I know, I know - Facebook is where everyone is, but I  just
don't have the patience for all that.

This has been a most unusual late summer and fall.  We had cool  weather
in August - one night even down into the 40s. It has been cool since  then,
and we have had a few light frosts, but still no real cold.  The net  tells
us
that this has been the driest October in 50 years, and I believe it.   Our
pond
is just down to a puddle.  In the 43 years we have lived here, I have  never
seen it so low.

Despite all that, and who knows, perhaps because of some of it, the  colors
this fall have been magnificent and longer lasting than I can  remember.
The
dogwoods (Cornus florida) in the drive began to show color in late  August.
The Kousa (C. kousa) is spectacular right now, and some of the  others still
have some leaves.  What is most unusual is that the Gingko, which in  most
years loses every leaf the night of the first frost, still has most of its
leaves.
I am accustomed to seeing the ground around the tree covered with the
golden leaves and not a leaf left on the tree the morning after the first
frost.
Some leaves have fallen, but the tree is still bright. What's  happening?

Also some of the tender plants around the house are still blooming.   The
Pineapple Sage which always makes a handsome plant but blooms so late
that in many years I don't get to see the blossoms, has been quite a  sight
this fall with it's spikes of crimson.  Does the drought, perhaps,  help in
this
matter?  Maybe there is less moisture in the plants to freeze and  cause
damage?

Once again, it's so good to hear from you all.
Auralie

In a message dated 11/6/2013 8:15:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,