RE: strange gardening year

I am in the habit of feeding the neighborhood squirrels (and chipmunks) in
late fall and winter, so it is pretty common to find corn growing anywhere
in the yard.  Sometimes, when it pops up in a spot where it isn't in the
grass and it isn't in a flower bed, I'll just let it grow and put that out
for the squirrels later.  Most often, because it is not well fertilized in
dense heavy clay nor is it in a good culture for optimum growing, the corn
with be dwarfed.  I imagine here that is because there is so much shade.  On
these occasions, we have neat small shocks of corn to put up for Halloween.
I look at it as a "win"/"win" situation for me and the critters.  :>D

I have found over the years that feeding the squirrels keeps them out of the
house and the attic.  With all the trees, they don't lack for shelter
either, so they become "entertainment" when they eat the corn, apples and
whatever else I can find, out on the front porch.  Now that I can grow
tulips (through chicken wire baskets) I really can enjoy the squirrels
energy and antics.  And now that our walnut trees have begun to bear nuts,
they are feeding themselves more too.  I imagine I'll have some walnut
seedlings before long.  My dad's yard started with only one small walnut
tree and ended with a small walnut forest!  I don't mind at all.  I guess
dad rubbed off on me with his "live and let live" approach to gardening.  He
always planted extra just for the critters that would get into his garden.

Blessings,

Bonnie