insect control

Hey Daryl

I just read your letter about allowing mother nature to take care of the insects in the garden. I completely agree with you with this caveat: Under your guidelines how should one control an insect invasion from a foreign nation or area when that harmful bug has no natural controls? There are many instances of this but the two that stand out here are the Glassy Winged Sharpshooter (from the southeast) which damages vineyards and more important for me and my business is the Giant Whitefly from Mexico which leaves a nasty white stringy goo on Hibs and other plants. Neither of these insects have a natural predator here so I was wondering how your philosophy deals with this kind of menace. (Again, in my garden I practice what you describe.)