From:  [mailto: kmrsy@comcast.net]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:17:44 +0000
Subject: Re: [CHAT] what does your garden grow/seed

Nice of you to offer starts Bonnie. Right now I don't want to deal
with<br>small plants, maybe next spring, but thanks for offering. For my
part, I<br>haven't collected hardly any seed this year, but there is
still time. I<br>just collected some Galtonia candicans (Summer
Hyacinth) if anyone wants<br>any and earlier in the season I collected
some perennial foxglove seed.<br>I've never found the name in any
reference book the same way that T&M<br>printed it on the package. but
the species began with an 'm', so perhaps<br>it's mertonensis. Anyway,
it's definitely perennial, not biennial.<br>Blooms first year from seed
if started early and color can vary from<br>white to rose. I'll also
have some Amsonia tabernaemontana if anyone
what plants seem to take off in what<br>> gardens, even in the same
zone. My garden seems to like orange cosmos,<br>> fuchsia celosia,
bronze fennel, Ajuga repatans, Ceratostigma<br>> plumbaginoides,
Rudbeckia fulgida, Vernonia gigantea, Buddleia davidii,<br>> Cercis
canadensis (I pull these out like weeds), and Liriodendron<br>>
tulipifera...all of which seem to reproduce with no effort.<br>> <br>>
giving<br>> these "passalongs" fairly frequently, especially to new
Master<br>> Gardeners from other regions in the class...one from Florida
where is<br>> soil, plants, and climate are completely different. The
first class was<br>> on lawn maintenance...not one of my favorites as I
don't favor a lawn<br>> for me. Recently read that Americans first had
kitchen and cottage<br>> gardens. The lawn evolved during the Victorian
era when people visited<br>> on foot. It allowed the view of people
walking to "visits" and provided<br>> a nice entrance for those coming
to the front door. Also, using shrubs<br>> in the front of the

house was due to the need to cover up unsightly<br>> construction when
homes were raised to put in furnaces and plumbing. I<br>> am not sure
Zone 6+ ETN<br>> <br>>
message text UNSUBSCRIBE

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com