Re: Re: claws

In a message dated 10/09/2003 10:35:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
jesserenebell@hotmail.com writes:

> We have coyotes, hawks and owls to deal with.  A hawk or owl can pick up a
> small cat with no problem.

Believe it or not, we have a problem with coyotes right here in Westchester
County, just north of Manhattan.  A man was walking his small dog on one of the
tonier down-county golf courses and a coyote snatched it right in front of
him.  We hear them howling at night, and have seen them in the woods near us.
Our land backs up to the Blue Mountain Reservation, an undeveloped tract owned
by the County, so we are overrun with all sorts of wild things.  Our two young
cats have never been out.  The older two go out in the daytime but they don't
stray far - too fat and lazy.  We try not to leave them out if we are away,
but if we do, we leave the garage open so they have somewhere to retreat to.
(They get up on top of the overhead doors.)  Generally I enjoy the wildlife.  I
think it's astonishing to think about all the life going on around us that we
are barely aware of.  But I don't enjoy having the coyotes.  In my mind they
are invasive aliens, just like some plants.  Maybe they were native to this
area once, but certainly not for a couple of centuries.  I really think of them
as belonging in the West - but  what do I know?  Auralie