Re: RE: mousers was: holiday decorating

I've developed the theory that good mousers have to be either wild
born, barn cats or have had a mother who was as their mothers teach
them to hunt.  Most human raised cats are not really good hunters.
They will chase and often kill something, but that's just instinct
and not "hunting".  My current mighty hunter was (I am sure) either
born wild or a barn cat baby.  She is fixated on hunting; so is
campused as she cannot distinguish between a bird and a rodento.
Being in the woods, we always had an influx of mice in autumn...can't
blame them; I'd rather live in heated quarters in winter, too.  I
think field mice are cute, but do not like them in my kitchen and
they can make such a mess.  Anyway, any mouse who is dumb enough to
show a whisker around here now has a very shortened life span.    My
mighty hunter eats what she kills  - unfortunately, she also often
barfs it right back up...gag.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
All Suite101.com garden topics :