Re: woolly bears was: strange gardening year

In a message dated 10/16/03 2:44:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time, mtalt@hort.net
writes:

> I understand it's a rather nondescript beige moth - not huge as one
> would expect from the size of the caterpillar, but not tiny, either.

Speaking of moths, I had an absolutely HUGE caterpillar crawl across our
garage floor the other day. It was lime green and could pull it's head back into
it's body, sort of like a turtle. I identified it in the  "National Audubon
Society's Insects and Spiders" as the Luna caterpillar. "This beautiful moth is
only found in North America. It is now considered an endangered species because
many have been killed by polluntants and pesticides".
I quickly set it out in the garden. What a nice surprise.
Godi zone 7
Mt. Vernon VA