Re: Cats and ferrets in gardens?

Fran and Jesse,
I saw the article in my morning paper and found it to be pretty much nothing more than an alar scare.

The cats had SARS because they were injected with it and there is no
proof they can pass it on. The Yahoo article indicated that some of the
cats within SARS households had some traces of it, but who knows what
those cats had been through - they eat cats over there.

The Washington Post writes, "It is unlikely from an epidemiological
[distribution] point of view that cats could play a significant role in
spreading the disease. Cats and ferrets appear to excrete the virus for
only a relatively short period of time."

Your cats aren't going to pick up SARS in your neighborhood. I think it
is unconscionable for these "news" services to print such articles with
titles like: "Pet Threat: Study links cats, SARS", when in fact, the
study didn't link them at all. It just gets people scared and upset for
no reason.