Re: Re: *sigh*

Jesse, my son spent 4 yrs in the army and I can't say it was the best thing
for him. He had signed for the air force in the air traffic control program
while still a hi school senior  with an Aug entry date.  He left on the day he
was scheduled but returned the next day because he had rcd a traffic ticket btwn
the time he signed & his entry date and he did not report it.  He was rqd to
go thru the enlistment procedure again and would be delayed for some short
period of time.  He had quit his job and was ready to go so instead immediately
enlisted in the army because they would take him right away in the ranger
program.  While in jump school he injured his knee which rqd surgery and messed up
his ranger program (thank god!).  He ended up in Germany for 2 yrs, was there
when the wall came down and finished in Calif training Natl Guard/Reserves for
Desert Storm action.  That left him with bad feelings for our government due
to the treatment  the regular/enlisted recd vs the special programs/benefits
the Natl Guard/Reserves rcd.
He did use his educational benefits.  His experience is reflected in his
active involvement in the Green party, is strongly opionated & maintains a hi
level of knowledge regarding
activites in the politcal world.  Thus, we do not discuss politics.
    It is hard to let go when in your heart they are still your little boy.
I remember my husband repeatly saying to him 'That is not the same army I was
in.'
    I often think of my grandmother who had 3 sons in WW2 and only means of
communication were letters.  Two of my uncles were injured, rcd several medals
but their injuries were a constance reminder of the past.  My MIL had 3 sons
in the Korean conflict & again so little means of communication.  We have come
along way.  I have a couple of friends with sons in active duty currently and
they have the opportunity to communicate by email & phone on a regular bases
which I am sure helps.
    My prayers are with you, Jesse, and thank your son for being so brave.
        Ceres