Re: Anemonopsis

Thanks, Kitty. It continues to amaze me how the distinctions between, say, zones 5 and 9 are sort of iffy and mushy but between 9 and 10 are some sort of latter day Berlin wall, going both ways. I guess this has to do, mostly, with the lack of data on terminal-9 plants that are growing in zone 10, since plants tend to adapt up in zone more readily than down in zone and there is a whole lot less zone 10 than there is zone 9. Am I making sense?

I do know of some zone 9 plants that should survive in zone 10 but don't. They are natives. Guess in the last several millennia if they had wanted to live here, they would have migrated here by now.

On Sunday, October 17, 2004, at 07:05 PM, Kitty wrote:

OOps, that's what was meant by:
Late July to September 1 ft. - 3 ft. Semishade 4 - 9
That's zones 4-9.
I've found some references that say 4-7, others 6-9. It grows fine here in
Zone 5 and I bought the plant from Ellen Hornig who grows it in Zone 4.

Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <jsinger@igc.org>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 5:22 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Anemonopsis

Any idea of its zone range, Kitty?

On Sunday, October 17, 2004, at 06:03 PM, Kitty wrote:

If anyone would be interested in trying some Anemonopsis macrophyla
seed, I
just collected it. I've never grown it from seed but did find this on
Tom
Clothier's list:
Sow at Max. 5:C (41:F), germination irregular, often several months
Perhaps Gene or Marge would have some experience with it and could
expand on
its requirements.

If you're not familiar with it it is a lovely Japanese woodland plant.
Here's a picture:

http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/jour/p/43/gw1043043/im.jpeg

Anemonopsis macrophylla from Japan. Flowering July-August 60 cm.
Likes a semi-shaded position and humus-rich, moist but wel-drained
soil.
COMMON: False anemone
Late July to September 1 ft. - 3 ft. Semishade 4 - 9
...topped in late summer by wiry stems bearing pendant pink flowers,
to 3
feet tall. Hard to find. Needs well-drained, humus-rich soil in light
medium shade; easier in cool summer areas.

Kitty

http://www.hort.net/funds/

Island Jim
Southwest Florida