From: Marge Talt
Sent: 10/22/2004 12:22:06 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] A. 'Powis Castle' was: Plants from Gene

Most of the time they are, Pam.  I have lost them in bad winters, but
I think more to winter wet than cold, actually.  They do best with
really good drainage.   While they obviously flourish in  your full
sun, they will tolerate part shade.....at least in my garden.

That said about good drainage, the plant I kept longest was growing
in a low-lying area that literally turns into a pond during heavy
rain....go figure.  It started out being higher up and kept
elongating itself and rooting in until most of it was in the low
spot.  Lasted almost 10 years and then I lost it along with all the
others I had.  One was doing really great under a south-facing roof
overhang until the roofers mangled it.

But, I know that it is 'iffy' and I need to take cuttings
regularly...I just had neglected to do this and paid the
consequences.  Howsomever, that neglect and your generosity got me a
bunch of really nice plants;-)

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade