Re: So...

So true, Zem. I remember finding a small pot of "tropical foliage" for $1.98 that turned out to be six seedlings of philodendron selloums, which I grew on individually and are now major plants in the plantation's landscape.

I always cruise those "tropical foliage" tables for seedlings of significant plants. Our Areca palms came from there also, as did any number of crotons.

The cactus table is also a happy hunting ground. They often have underpriced Madagascar palms and other interesting stuff [if you stay away from all those weird grafted things]. Today, for example, there was a cardboard plant [Zamia I-forget-species] seedling in a 4-inch pot for a couple of dollars. Marvelous start for a bonsai, which I'm not into except I was really tempted to try my hand at it. Cardboard plant is such a striking and bold cycad.