From: james singer
Sent: 10/29/2004 3:55:29 AM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] Oleander standard

So far, I have two, Pam. A white one in the ground and a blood red one
in a 15-gallon pot. I start with a tip cutting about 6 inches long,
remove the leaves from the bottom three or four nodes, dip it in
RooTone, and stick it in vermiculite deep enough to cover the bare
nodes. When they are well rooted [6 weeks or so], I plant them in
1-gallon pots and stake them so they will grow straight. From then on,
it's pretty much maintenance. As it grows, I increase the pot size and
the stake size, nip off any side branches. When it gets to be about 4
to 5 feet tall, the stem will sort of peter out and split into a head
of several branches. Then it's just a matter of pruning those branches
to form the head you want. It takes awhile, but it's easy.

On Wednesday, October 27, 2004, at 08:43 PM, ""
<gardenqueen@academicplanet.com> wrote:

> You can grow oleanders as standards?  Tell me more please!
>
> Pam Evans
> Kemp, TX
> zone 8A

Island Jim