Re: Lavender

Just for MY info? Gee thanks! ;+)

This is one of my big pet peeves, Ceres.  So many places think that if
someone grows something for its flowers and it is not 6 feet tall then it
must be an annual, biennial, or perrenial. They fear they will confuse their
customers by calling it a shrub.

Check any good reference book and you'll find that the entire genus
Lavandula is made up of shrubs and subshrubs.  L. angustifolia is English
Lavender, a shrub.  'Lady' is a L.a. cultivar.  If nurseries and catalogs
would list Lavender as a shrub people might better understand how to
cultivate it.  Instead, I killed my first lavender by cutting it to the
ground because it was labeled a perennial.  As uneducated as I was at that
time, I never would have cut a shrub to the ground.

'Lady', a 1994 AAS winner may have beeN listed as an annual for 4 reasons I
can think of.  One is that it is an AAS winner, which are almost always
annuals.  The second is that this Lavender can flower the first year from
seed.  The third that it may be borderline hardy (then it should be called a
Tender Shrub) And fourth is that it is obviously difficult to keep it alive,
so you may as well treat it as an annual - BUT IT IS STILL A SHRUB.

I suppose to most people it doesn't matter how it is classified, they'll
grow it if they like it and buy more if it dies.  I just don't like to see
false information on tags.