From: kmrsy@comcast.net
Sent: 10/30/2004 5:04:53 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: [CHAT] divisions in bottomless containers

Remember when I asked you all what was meant be "divisions in bottomless
containers"? Well, here's roughly how it was described in class.

Some plants grown in containers may develop longer root systems than the
depth of the pot and start traveling around in the pot, circling it. For
plants that grow taproots, including many prairie plants, this can be a
problem. To aleviate the problem and to develop a more dense fibrous
root system, you can use bottomless containers.

Take a standard gallon container ( or any kind) and cut most of the
bottom out leaving a bit of a lip. Line the bottom with a couple of
paper towels and fill with soil media and plant material. Water in.
Place the containers' edges on bricks leaving the toweled area open to
the air, not on any surface. When the plant's roots grow down, they'll
reach the towel area and air-prune themselves rather than traveling in
another direction. Once air-pruned they will more readily branch out and
devlop a more fibrous root system rather than a bunch of ropey roots
circling the inside of the container.

This technique isn't restricted to divisions, which is one thing that
had me confused. I think it could be quite valuable for any kind of
containerized plant.