Re: Plant sale NOW Tibouchina granulosa

Jim, that is one beautiful purple.
zem
To: "Garden Chat" <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, October 02, 2005 1:34 PM
Subject: [CHAT] Plant sale

Went to Tropiflora's annual fall plant sale today. Barbecue, steel drum musician, and a couple of dozen nurseries in addition to Tropiflora. We know it's fall--even though it's 87 degrees outside right now--because Tropiflora is holding this sale and because the Koelreuteria elegans [golden rain trees] are masses of yellow flowers.

Ms. Fatma wanted to go to the sale to find a Ficus cordata [Namaqua rock fig]--small plant with a large caudex--for a present to give to a colleague. Tropiflora has a wondrous selection of these bonsai-like plants. She found one in a 3-inch pot that has so distorted it's plastic pot that it needs to be planted [1] in a larger pot and [2] at less depth to expose more of the caudex.

For my part, I purchased a small [4-inch pot] rooted cutting of a Tibouchina granulosa. It's a single stem cutting, which I intend to train as a standard. For the present, however, it has seven flower buds that I intend to enjoy first.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10