Re: Snake, now lizard

I've seen bright green ones, Pam, but they are rare. Most are in the brown range, from very light tan to chocolate. Some have stripes, others do not. It is common to see a medium brown one with a blond stripe down its spine, and vice versa coloring is common also. One of my favorites lives in an area we call the "nursery"--it [a male, I think] is very dark, almost black. But his wattle, or whatever that skin is called that they flash to attract mates or warn enemies, is bright red.

Slender with long tails is a good description, Pam. Tail is at least half their total length.

Most of the anoles in Florida are descendants of Cuban anoles, who were probably blown over here in a hurricane or tropical storm a few 100 years ago. They have nearly replaced the native anoles, although I've been told by those who study such things that the natives can still be found.

But, native or Cuban, they're all welcome here. And lots of fun to watch. They make no sound whatsoever; they communicate entirely by flashing that waddle-thing, bobbing their head and front shoulders up and down, and using other little body language tics and jerks.

I've only seen one fight between two of them, which is kind of amazing given what appears to be nearly full-time mating solicitation behavior. I've seen several matings--which are excruciatingly slow to consummate [kind of like teenagers on a second date]--and which seem very ceremonial, like a Noh play, with rituals I haven't been able to figure out. I also have not been able to figure out why one male seems to be successful and another not. But I'm not much good at figuring that out about humans, either :>)