Re: fern ID

I have this asparagus fern growing under my fig tree...well it started out
under the fig tree.  It has now climbed up and is all through the  fig.  It
really hasn't been invasive for me, not in respect to  spreading anyway, it does
climb and entangles whatever is in  it's path.  It's been rather well behaved
though, considering  I  have a Antigonon leptopus (aka Coral vine, Queen's
Wreath) that will literally  crawl over and cover the world.  Fortunately this
one blooms, the  asparagus has not.  It does have thorns though, which is why I
do leave it  in the fig.......keeps the wildlife from getting ALL the figs.
Watch out  though....it will snag you.
When this asparagus is small it is a great addition to terrariums and such,
and is a slow grower in the beginning. I'm assuming it can be kept under
control  by constant pruning....not sure, haven't tried that.  To me it looks like
a  tiny bonsai forest when really small.....be a great addition to a Railroad
garden too, perhaps.
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast
In a message dated 10/6/2005 11:02:58 AM Central Standard Time,