Anoles again

I was cutting old leaves off the giant bird of paradise so I could take an unobstructed picture of a stem of blooms. When I ripped off an old leaf sheath, I uncovered an ant nest. Bird flowers exude sweet, sticky stuff and I think the ants accept that as payment for pollinating the flowers. Anyway, suddenly there a zillion ants running every which way, and I started to go get a sprayer. But then just as suddenly, there were anoles everywhere eating ants. I noticed that the anoles seemed to favor the ants that were carrying eggs--two for one, I guess. In all, it took about 10 minutes before all the ants were either eaten or safely hiding somewhere. Was really interesting to watch--the baby anoles were just as aggressive as the adults.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10